Re: [IRCA] New logbook started and new antennas tested

Re: [IRCA] New logbook started and new antennas tested

I'll get some pics of it tonight, the rod is encased in PVC fittings and I'll grab some shots next time I open it

The spirals are mounted parallel to each other about 1" apart and grounded at the center tap. Symmetry is maintained since one coil turns inwards to the center where the ground/common is and the second winds outwards in the same direction. I've tapped the resonant loop directly both single sided and balanced for some time now. The twin spiral was built more out of curiosity and the original configuration was balanced with no secondary loop with J310s in the amplifier. The varactors are connected back to back with anodes connected to each side of the loop and bias is fed through a 100K resistor. The upper and lower limits are set through pots connected to a precision voltage source and buffered through op amps. A 10 turn pot is used to set the tuning voltage and fed to the bias resistor through another op amp for buffering. A quad op amp handles upper and lower limit buffering, precision voltage from a TC Zener source and output buffering/filtering The loops plug in through stereo jacks so I can swap them out easily.

Another difference between the 2 is the rod uses a single pair of closely matched varactors while the twin spiral uses 8 random varactors out of the bag which is probably why the Q is lower than expected. The rod having such sharp null probably has to do with it being 11 inches long and the way it's wound.

One problem I'm having at the moment is waiting on a new head for my Weller soldering station, on order but not here yet. I'm NOT going to try working with the SMT FETs with a 40W Radio Shack ungrounded slobbering iron...

Any amplifier adds noise though atmospherics overwhelm the noise from a well laid out MOSFET input. The preamp on the ferrite is actually the front end of my homebrew receiver, also waiting for parts, that is balanced and uses 2 BF904WR MOSFETs on the inputs though I've grounded one side for now. Once I get some other things taken care of the rod will have a balanced amp in the head. I think the main advantage of the rod is the XYL irritation factor is lower. The best reception in the house is in the living room and she's not fond of the idea of a "butt ugly gizmo" in her living room.

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD
I'd be interested in seeing a photo of that loop, and a schematic as to your connections.

I've built a lot of loops over the years and have some ideas that you might find interesting.

I built a lot of spiral and solenoidal loops, as well as ferrite loops. The air-core loops always outperformed the ferrite loops. One of the things that I found important as far as loop pattern and null depth is symmetry, something yo cannot get right with a spiral loop because the windings are different diameters. Traditional split-stator air dielectric tuning capacitors always gave me a higher Q than varactors did. And this is important as you referred to off-channel rejection. With the frame of the split-stator capacitor connected to the loop center-tap I was able to get some good pattern symmetry and good null depth.

I either used a center-tapped secondary winding, or later on did away with the secondary winding entirely and used a high-impedance FET preamp across the primary that did the preamplification and conversion to unbalanced low-impedance output.

Rick Kunath