[IRCA] New logbook started and new antennas tested

[IRCA] New logbook started and new antennas tested

After losing all my old logs and equipment in a fire I gave the hobby up for a while but I'm starting over.

I have been working on 2 different approaches for antennas to handle the RF zoo I live in.

One is a dual spiral, 10 turns total and 30" diameter in 2 layers 1" apart with varactor tuning and a single turn pickup loop. The other is an 11" ferrite rod made from 2 5 1/2" rods from same model Panasonic thrift store radios also with varactor tuning and a low noise preamp. 102 turns of wire center tapped for the resonant winding and a 12 turn pickup coil. Several trial winding schemes were tried with #30 solid before I made the final with the Litz. Both are wound with 40/44 Litz. Both have their advantages. The dual spiral is very sensitive for it's size but more prone to off channel splatter and local QRM and it seems to do better below 650KHz than the rod. Because there's 2 spirals working together the null is along the axis of the windings and sharper than the traditional coil or spiral. The active rod's only real disadvantage is the touchy tuning but it covers from 500KHz to 1900KHz, 2MHz if I push the voltage over spec on the varactors. Neither antenna has shown any sign of intermod or overload but I do have to reduce the gain on stronger signals with the active rod. I'm also working on a LW version of the active rod using the 7 1/2" rod salvaged from an S350DL. That POS is more useful in my junkbox than on the bench.

The last 4 entries made in the wee hours show that my efforts have been worth it. KXRB is 100W Directional aimed right at this location and just over 4 miles from here.

Receiver, DX-440 slightly tweaked. Added shielding.
Antenna used for these was the active rod.