Re: [IRCA] [ultralightdx] 7-24 Yachats, Oregon DUs

Re: [IRCA] [ultralightdx] 7-24 Yachats, Oregon DUs

Hi Guy,

You are doing great with your Ultralight radios at the Oregon coast,
and thanks for giving the new FSL antenna a try!

<<<   594 Unid. at 1220. Aussie-accented woman and man in discussion in
English, but briefly heard. Only fair to good level. 3WV Horsham,
Victoria, Australia? Logged previously with good signals by Gary DeBock
from Lincoln City, OR last year.   >>>

The dominant 594 kHz DU on the Oregon coast is indeed usually 3WV,
although the low-powered Rhema stations in New Zealand (with Christian
music) had unusual strength during the August 20-22 trip, taking over
the frequency on two out of three days. 3WV was back in control this
month during my trip, but not one of the stronger Aussies.

<<<    603 Unid. at 1220, weak talk in unknown language   >>>

This is almost certainly Radio Waatea, a 5 kw New Zealand station with
Maori-language programming. It's one of the stronger DU's on the Oregon
coast, but for some bizarre reason never seems to show up at Grayland.
It was pretty strong with Maori-language music and speech for me this
month in Lincoln City.

<<<   657 Unid. at 1226, weak music which sounded like pop music. Gone
for good at 1230.   >>>

657 is usually Southern Star, a Christian music-oriented NZ station
that was one of the strongest DU's for me in Lincoln City this month.
If it was gone by 1230, your DU propagation was probably bailing out
early (strong DU's continue well past 1300 on good days at the beach).

<<<   891 5AN Adelaide Australia; presumed, with Aussie accented talk
at 1235. Very weak signal.   >>>

891-5AN was the only Aussie that had really strong signals for me this
month at Lincoln City. The other "big gun" Aussies were usually on the
run from lower-powered Kiwis throughout the week.

<<<   1116 Unid. at 1245, woman announcer hosting a talk show (seemed
to be about family relationships). Her accent seemed more Aussie than
Kiwi, so I wonder if this was 4BC Brisbane. The signal was actually at
a good level for a part of a minute, then went down again to
mumble-mumble-mumble level.   >>>

4BC is the usual suspect on this frequency, and your programming
description matches what I received on 4BC two years ago on Sunday
morning at Grayland ("Sharina the Psychic") http://www.mediafire.com/?tinjn2wmmy4

<<< 684 Unid. at 1255 with pop music starting out weak, then suddenly much
stronger for a brief period a minute later. Unfortunately I couldn't
get any clues to this station's identity based on the music style or
artist. After dropping down to near-threshold level again it was
pulsing in and out of audibility, up through the top of the hour.   >>>

Aussie 2KP is the usual DU suspect on 684 in Lincoln City, and its format matches your description. Radio Fiji One can show up here with Polynesian choral music during great conditions (// 639), but almost always under 2KP

<<< 738 RFO Tahiti at 1205-1300+, heard at fair to good level much of the
time with French talk, piano music, and a promo or advertisement with a
child's voice in French. An unidentified co-channel station was
occasionally heard in the background.   >>>

738-RFO Tahitit was the strongest of all South Pacific stations for me this month in Oregon, Guy, often pegging the PL-380's S/N display at 25 (with the 8" FSL boost). It provided a convenient French programming parallel for me to confirm the identity of 666-Noumea. The co-channel is almost always 2NR in Grafton.

<<< 567 Unid. station at 1306; Kiwi accented (most likely) male announcer
noted in English; faint signal. Probably this was RNZ National,
Wellington, New Zealand at 50kw.   >>>

The RNZ National "big gun" 2YA was one of the strongest DU's for me this month, Guy, and I'm sure that's what you had. I hope that you didn't also have the 570-KVI splatter like I did, to remind me of home.

73, Gary DeBock (back in Puyallup, WA)