Re: [IRCA] Three letter calls on TV

Stan,

I have tried to QSL every 3 call letter station I have heard to date
since I started in 1965 and I think I have 100% of what I heard QSL'd
for 3 call stations, but there are a lot of 3 call signs in the Midwest
& East I haven't heard. One comes to mind WOL-1450 and I really doubt I
will ever hear that one from the West Coast.
  Salem BCing tried to get the old KOL and KMO calls back, but all they
could do is to get KKOL and KKMO.
   I don't see the sense in the FCC giving back the old calls again, as
they did that in the early 80s, just to find most if not all changed
back. KRE-1400 was a good example. The old KRE calls were there long
before I was at the dials. By the time I started, they were KPAT. But
once they changed back, I relogged 1400 and got the QSL. Within a few
weeks, 1400 had changed again. I guess many corporate heads don't care
about station history. You are right, a new slogan would work fine with
a new format. They only have to give calls once an hour and the slogan
could be given over and over in that hour, so people would think they
were listening to a new station with new slogans & the format. Calls are
more important in the U.S. than they are in many other countries, like
Latin America. Slogans have always been big there.

73

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR