[IRCA] Three letter calls on TV

To confirm for Pat Martin, the KHQ calls do live on on Channel 6 here in Spokane.  I guess I should say "digital" Channel 6 because they actually broadcast on RF Channel 15.

I was sad when 590 dropped the KHQ calls back in the early 80's.  They were still co-owned with KHQ-TV, but the owners put their radio stations up for sale and they sold pretty quickly.  KHQ-FM 98.1 became KISC (Kiss FM) and still has those calls and slogan with a soft rock format.  590 became KLSN with the slogan "Listen 5-90", but they later became KAQQ, and then several years ago, at least, they dropped the adult contemporary music format, becoming conservative talk, and took on their current calls of KQNT.

I, like Pat Martin, wish that heritage stations would keep their three letter calls, and just change slogans if they change formats.  I think it's still true, though, if radio and TV stations split ownership, they can't keep the same calls, except with special permission.

I know KING-FM 98.1 Seattle, got special permission to keep its calls when it was sold off from KING-TV.  I wish 1090 Seattle was still KING!

Stan Weisbeck
Spokane, WA