[IRCA] Directional AM's in Alaska

I see Dennis in SW Washington indicated before I could that there is at least one directional AM in Alaska. The last I knew there were two, and the other one might be KJNP 1170 North Pole (near Fairbanks).  I know they at least used to be, back in the '70s, beaming NW at night.  I toured their facilities back in 1975 on my way back to the lower 48, after living in Nome and working for KNOM 780 for a little more than a year.

Tom Busch, who passed away suddenly last month, was my boss for the latter part of time I was there.  He was directly responsible for building KNOM from 1969-1971, left to work in Fairbanks 1973-75 at KIAK 970, and then returned to KNOM as GM from 1975-2005.  He was very influential in Alaska radio and a wonderful guy to work for and work with.  He was president of the Alaska Association of Broadcasters for a year and a member of the organization for decades.

Nome's power is provided by diesel generators, and KNOM, I believe, still gets its power from the city, but has back-up generators at both the studio and transmitter sites.  I still get KNOM's newsletter and I try to follow what's happening in Alaska radio.  The last time I visited Nome was in 1992 but I hope to return again one of these days.

Speaking of the power output of Alaska radio stations, KNOM looked into boosting power to 50kW from their present 25kw (days) some years back, but decided it was too expensive.  KNOM is 25kw/14kw. They drop power at night to protect KCAM 790, Glenallen, Alaska. This time of year KNOM is on day power maybe 4 hours a day, but in June they are on day power about 21 hours a day!  The difference between winter and summer daylight that far north is pretty amazing!

Stan Weisbeck
Spokane, WA