[IRCA] Extreme Mid Band cx tonight to the NW from IL

I had a day of antenna work here planned, but woke up with a cold so took it easy and just rolled out the Phased BOGs towards the NW. Roughly 338 ft terminated to ground thru 270 ohms (works pretty well) // about 190 ft unterminated (I don't want a ground rod in the middle of my yard, but will see if a large piece of sheet metal can do the trick) both at about 318-320 degrees. I used this setup lots last fall and with good results, but nothing as good as was had so far tonight. Times CST, RX R8A and Quantum Phaser.

I've been trying for CJSL 1280 for years and never more than what sd/lk weak traces of C&W mx had been heard. At 1739 there was some C&W mixed with WWTC pest. Semi local WBIG is easily killed by the somewhat broadband null the results when I phase out Chicago's SS on 1200. At 1742 a very cold wx fcst was heard with temps seemingly in C by ancr with somewhat of a Canadian accent. A few minutes later it had faded up to VG and atop WWTC and stayed in for a while and CJ-1280 ID's and some promo to win a free movie.

Things get better now as over to 1240 and WMHG has a cold wx fcst and then WJON is dominant as is often, but there's some old C&W in there. I stay on 1240 for about 30 minutes and also note some AC type oldies in there at times. Strangly basically very little trace of WI stations in this part of the band, getting skipped over it seems. Chicago 1240 had not a trace due to easy phasing. At 1810 the ID in what was now a fading mess was KDLR and during a latter break there were a couple of North Dakota mentions.

Tuning over to 1250 CHSM was mixed slightly under KBRF // a very loud CFAM 950. 1220 CJRB was also very strong. Tuning past 1210 there was oldies atop for a while and up to a good level at 1846. A quick check showed it // 1330 CJYM as usual, but about 30 seconds delayed ! Anyhow, this is the best I've ever heard CFYM. CFYM didn't stay atop and was QRM'd by KOKK and KHAT (I think running day rig at night with ESPN) with WPHT phased. Anyhow, not so common to get a 1000 watter from 1174 miles away with several QRMing possibilities.

CFYM's strength had me thinking that CFAR might be possible on 1240 and sure enough at 1902 during a break in news I heard a Canadian accented ad for a Manitoba car dealer !! Two minutes later there was another Manitoba ad heard u/WJON. CFAR is way up north and 1003 miles from here and my first 1000+ mile GYer from the US that wasn't enhanced by seacoast and from the south during an AU.

I then tuned past 1230 and oldies ended and there was a Classic 1230 ID at 1907. This is KDIX from far western ND and 787 miles distant and also new. This faded quickly and hockey was atop and it was  U. ND hockey which made no sense to me since there's only 1 stn on 1230 in ND. I checked the net listed online and this would seem to be KTRF (also new) from MN near ND. Sure enough I caught them IDing and mentioning carrying Fighting Souix sports at 1951.

5 new ones tonight !! back out to the DX truck for 10 o'clock IDs.   73 KAZ Barrington IL