Re: [IRCA] Cable connectors

Recently I bought some items that may be useful for antennas. The first is an adapter that combines four BNC cables to a single CAT5 type cable.

I'm assuming your measurements were made with an antenna connected at the far end of the cable.

Yes.  This was a small Superloop-type antenna for this ttest.

It would be interesting to know the difference in the effective shielding for Cat 5 cable compared to RG58. How much signal, if any, do you have on the Cat 5 cable and the RG58 when there's an open circuit or 50 ohm load at the far end?

I did test this several years ago. I used a well-shielded dummy load. This article will explain it.

http://www.am-dx.com/cablework.htm

In the end I've come to much prefer balanced cable rather than coax. A number of DXers use twisted pair speaker wire which is probably fine. Personally I prefer CAT5 cable. The fact it has four pairs makes it quite versatile.

I also have made a number of baluns, "un-un's" and splitter/combiners. Just for use in various projects.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can test and report.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI