Re: [IRCA] Spanish 1580 mystery identified

Re: [IRCA] Spanish 1580 mystery identified

Glenn, Congratulations on solving this mystery espanol station. Was very interesting following your attempts over the last several months.

Don K.

Glenn Hauser wrote:
** U S A. 1580, Saturday Sept 4 at 1324, incompetent KOKB Blackwell OK once again wasting watts with open carrier, audiblizing the formerly mysterious Spanish sports talk I had been hearing almost every Saturday (only) for months, mentioning deportes. Tnx to Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa, who was able to hear it last Saturday by nulling his local on 1570, and by his Googling, we now know it`s coming from KHGG Fort Smith AR (city of license Van Buren):
http://www.bridgingthegapconsultinginc.com/Release.pdf

[LA ZONA DEPORTIVA logo]
For Immediate Release Contact: Leo Cruz 479-466-2211 Bridging the Gap Consulting, Inc. a marketing and advertising company focusing in assisting businesses in reaching the ever-growing Hispanic market is proud to announce the launch of the all-Spanish local sports website: http://www.lazonadeportiva.com This is dedicated to the local sporting news and events that feature Latino athletes. La Zona Deportiva will be supported by three Spanish radio stations that are in Northwest Arkansas, Ft Smith River Valley and Central Arkansas. We will have highlights, latest news and a community photo gallery featuring our young Latino youths in sports. Coming in April every Saturday from 8am to 10am [13-15 UT], La Zona Deportiva will launch an all-Spanish live sports talk show on the following Spanish radio stations: La Pantera 1440 AM in central Arkansas, ESPN Deportes 1580 AM in Ft Smith and the River Valley and Las Más Mexicana 1140 AM in Northwest Arkansas. ## Bridging The Gap Consulting, Inc. http://www.bridgingthegapconsultinginc.com

Following their denial of such Spanish sports, previously had virtually ruled out KGAF Gainesville TX, which is almost exactly the same distance from here as KHGG, another prime suspect --- but never found anything about KHGG switching to a bit of Spanish Saturday mornings only, on their own website.

1580 gets short shrift compared to the other four stations in the Fort Smith Radio group`s website http://www.sportshog1031.com/ --- still can`t find anything about the Spanish diversion, let alone a program schedule for 1580 in particular.

So there are two other AR frequencies doing it too. 1140, KLTK Centerton (studio Rogers), 5 kW daytime
1440, KTUV Little Rock, 5 kW
Both of which are already full Spanish, per NRC AM Log 2010-2011.

I no longer need to chase the 1580 Spanish as unID. Since the press release refers to 1580 as `ESPN Deportes 1580`, I wonder if there are other Spanish hours under different sponsorship; whenever else I have heard KHGG, has still been in English sports talk, or gospel huxter Sunday morning, not CNN Headline News 24h as in NRC AM log.

Coördinates in FCC AM Query indicate it is definitely on the AR side of the border, 1 kW non-direxional, but of course no longer any Tiger Maps; Radio-locator shows it:
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KHGG&service=AM&status=L&hours=D
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, KEOR, Sperry-Catoosa-Tulsa has been on most of the time but signal seems weaker than before, such as Sept 2 around 2030 UT; sometimes hard to tell on caradio. But Sept 3 at 1952 check it was definitely missing, no carrier or modulation.

1580, KOKB, Blackwell, continues to lose modulation for large amounts of airtime, but carrier stays on. Noted that way sometime on Sept 2, but at 1950 UT on Sept 3 (over)modulated sports talk was back. Back to OC Sept 4 morning, reaudiblizing the no longer unID Spanish sportstalk: see U S A (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###