[IRCA] New RNZI Documentary - Contemporary Island Radio Pacific Style

[IRCA] New RNZI Documentary - Contemporary Island Radio Pacific Style

For anyone interested:
---
RNZI Airs New Radio Heritage Documentary
Contemporary Island Radio Pacific Style
Honiara and Vila

Join us from Monday February 22 2010 when we air our new radio
heritage documentary about contemporary island style radio on the
current Radio New Zealand International [RNZI] Mailbox program.

Co-inciding with tests from the new shortwave transmitters of Radio
Vanuatu this week, the program explores todays radio dials in both
Vila and Honiara and introduces listeners to a number of Pacific FM
stations they may never have before heard.

You can listen directly via shortwave or audio on demand [for the
following month] with full details of broadcast frequencies and times
in your area and audio download at www.rnzi.com.

The program traces radio heritage in Vila back to a 1930's station
operated by a French plantation owner and which relayed French
Colonial radio from Paris as well as local commodity prices and
announcements.

In the 1960's Radio Port Vila was testing on shortwave with 1kw, very
similar to this weeks tests using 1.5kW so there's progress for you.

Audio in the program comes from VTBC or Radio Vanuatu, as well as the
most popular station in the nation, Capital FM 107 from Vila.

US Armed Forces broadcasters WVUQ Radio City, Guadalcanal and WVTJ
Munda on New Georgia followed a late 1920's church mission
broadcaster also from Munda.

In the 1950's, SIBC was operating on shortwave as VQO3 with 5kW and
the new transmitters planned for Honiara this year will have 10kW, so
again, some progress is being made.

The audio in our new documentary comes from SIBC recorded in Honiara,
and also from local commercial station Paoa FM, again the most
popular station in the nation.

These are fragile broadcasting markets, with only a handful of local
stations competing on FM with Radio Australia and China Radio
International relays and several religious stations.

Join David Ricquish of the Radio Heritage Foundation for this audio
and heritage tour deep into the South Pacific, and taking in
contemporary Island Radio Pacific Style from the Solomon Islands and
Vanuatu.

You'll also enjoy related articles and images about AFRS Radio in the
Solomon Islands and other Island Radio Pacific Style content at the
global website of the Radio Heritage Foundation www.radioheritage.net.

Use our free Pacific Asian Log Radio Guides for AM, FM and SW
broadcasters from around the entire region, easy to search and easy
to use.

RNZI's Mailbox program from Monday February 22 2010 via shortwave and
audio on demand with full times and schedules at www.rnzi.com now.
---
Lynn.
Lafayette, LA