[IRCA] Pre-sunrise powers and Critical Hours powers

[IRCA] Pre-sunrise powers and Critical Hours powers

Is any attention paid to Pre-sunrise powers? I don't hear anything different happening at 6am and haven't for years. It's just another top-of-the-hour, as far as I can hear. Years ago, on regional frequencies, station sign-ons at 6:00 would pile on in layers, often covering the usual night dominant on the channel. Things sound no more (or less) congested now at 6:03 than they did at 5:57.

Critical Hours restrictions have been ignored for years. When I worked at the Knoxville stations on 1580 and 1180 in the late 80's, nobody knew what I was talking about when I mentioned them to staff, including the owners.

I strongly suspect these power restrictions exist only in some musty paper file in the bowels of the FCC building, as well as in the idealistic imaginations of the DXing brotherhood.

Steve Francis
Alcoa, Tennessee