Re: [IRCA] MORE BAD NEWS FOR FM DXERS

I am in the middle of Seattle, but until today haven't had a chance to
really hear what the FM IBOC hash sounds like.  By chance, I picked up a
Yamaha T-80 tuner today at a thrift shop for $10, and it works perfectly!
The AM section has dual bandwidths, but neither are very narrow, and the
images on the low end of the band are pretty bad, so no TPs on this one.

However, the FM side is fantastically sensitive and has two good
bandwidths.  In listening to local IBOCers, doing an A/B with the
wide/narrow filtering, the hash is quite noticeable, especially on the
local classical station that isn't blasting all of the time.  Fortunately,
the narrow bandwidth pretty much gets rid of it, and the audio isn't
impacted much at all.

I can't imagine what those who listen to the classical station, and don't
have a selectable bandwidth tuner or an HD tuner, must think.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA