Re: [IRCA] RHC

---- lmn2gki@xxxxxxx wrote:

> A friend of mine who isn' t DXer or Ham asked me a question  that it really
> need the help of other Dx'ers in the list.
> He claims he was driving in a country road somewhere in Pa.  when he heard,
> to his surprise, "THIS IS RHC, FROM CUBA ...BLAH, blah.
> I asked him if he had a SW radio in the car, he didn't even  know what was
> "that".
> I don't think he was telling me a lie but before I answer him  I'd like to
> hear your opinion.
> LuisM n2gki

You didn't say if this was AM or FM or 'other'.

The first possibility would be a brief overload effect from a
shortwave signal, but I think that all typical in-dash car radios
(it WAS this? and not a hand held portable?) are immune from this.

Or, my guess is that he was listening to a "public radio" type station
on FM that began carrying a program from Cuba, though I honestly
don't think this happens in the US. I thought of e-skip but this is not
the season for that. If this was on FM, was it below 92 MHz?

Was he in a part of Pa. that allows over the lake reception from
Canada, which is somewhat more likely to carry a Cuba relay.

If this was an AM-based occurrence, a lot more detail would
really help. First, frequency the radio was tuned to. Then, was
he listening to another program (and this came in _over_ it)? Or,
was it no program being heard? The time of day is very important,
if it was during the day, there should be zero reception of anything
near Cuba on MW. Then, how long did this reception last, and why did it stop
(suddenly, or, fading etc). How about, characteristic of the announcer's
voice (accent, gender, etc), a pointer as to whether it was actually a
Cuban national doing the announcing. Or, if it was on 88.1 FM then
he heard an ipod player going through a modulator in a nearby car,
and the driver likes cuban radio play from a podcast etc .....

There's more, but you get the idea. To me this report is just inconclusive.

This is what it is like when someone reports "flying saucers". Very few
people know how to collect useful diagnostic information, IMHO, and the
majority of such reports can't be either verified or discounted.

73 Bob k2euh