[IRCA] Personal Introduction - Hello

My name is Patrick Griffith. I live in Parker, Colorado in the USA. Parker is a suburb of Denver. It is located about 20 miles southeast of Denver at an elevation of 5,868 feet above sea level. Parker is home to the KOA/850 transmitter which is about 2 miles from my house.

I have been away from the IRCA list for a few months due to some personal issues. So, to some, this is a re-introduction of sorts. To those who previously communicated with me please note the change of my e-mail provider from the somewhat problematic Webtv to a more conventional Hotmail account.

I grew up in rural northern Illinois where I became an avid DXer in 1965 at the age of 13. I migrated to the Denver area in 1981. I am a retired firefighter/EMT. I actually retired at the rank of Fire Investigator. I have also had previous careers as a police officer, burglar and fire alarm response officer, 911 dispatcher, broadcast engineer, and radio producer. I presently work as an armed security screener for the Arapahoe County court system.

Since 1965 I have also been an intermittent disaster response employee for the National Disaster Medical System (NDMS). I am one of the founders of Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT) CO-2 located here in the Denver area. This team responds to large scale medical disasters and also pre-stages at events with the potential for large scale medical emergencies nationwide. This team is also designated as one of four National Medical Response Teams for Weapons of Mass Destruction. As a member of the management support unit for these teams I have responded to a number of incidents ranging from the bombing at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta to hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. In 2003 I was recognized by Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge as a Founding Member of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

I have several professional certifications from the Society of Broadcast Engineers and I am a General class amateur radio (ham) operator - call sign N0NNK. In 2006 and 2007 I helped to construct and proof the present transmitter site for the AM 1510 station located here in the Denver area. It is a 4-tower directional array.

I have also done some writing having published a small book and 14 magazine articles. The book that I published (in 1998) was titled AM Broadcast Station Antenna Systems - A Basic Guide. It was written primarily with the AM DXer in mind.

My primary receiver is a Drake R-8 and my antenna is a Kiwa 12-inch air core loop. I am an avid collector of AM and shortwave QSLs. I presently have 6 binders filled with the QSLs that I have collected since the 1960s.

I am happy to be back on the IRCA list. I have always found it to be an excellent source of information. I hope all are well and I wish you and yours happy holidays.