[IRCA] Barefoot Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight Receives First Longwave TP

[IRCA] Barefoot Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight Receives First Longwave TP

Hello All,

According to a suggestion from Brock in Kailua, Hawaii, the new Tecsun
PL-380 Ultralight radio was used to check Radio Rossii (in Russia's far eastern
 region) on three Longwave frequencies last night around 0900 UTC-- 180,
189  and 279 kHz. Since no Ultralight radio had ever received a Longwave TP in
 barefoot form, I was less than optimistic about its chances.

Checking the frequencies early at around 0742 on the stock PL-380, I  was
astonished to find Radio Rossii with fair audio already on 279 kHz,
apparently during the Russian station's sunset period in Yuzno-Sakhalinsk.  To my
knowledge, this was the first reception of a Longwave TP on a stock
Ultralight radio. Efforts were made from 0900-1000 to receive the other  Radio Rossii
frequencies suggested by Brock, but the signals on all  three frequencies
dropped off here after local midnight. I suspect  that Brock's Hawaii
propagation (and later sunset) may be giving him a  reception advantage during the
0900-1000 UTC period.

After receiving the 279-Radio Rossii station on the barefoot PL-380, I was
also able to receive the same TP on the barefoot Tecsun PL-310, another new
DSP  receiver. Both of these innovative models have competitive Longwave
reception,  in addition to their outstanding AM, FM and SW capabilities. With
multiple  DSP selectivity options, these ultimate bargains (around $45 each)
are very  tough to beat in today's radio market.

Thanks again to Brock for his LW-DXing suggestion!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)