Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-4.. Better at Asian Sunset

Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-4.. Better at Asian Sunset

Hello Nick,

Thanks for your comments, and congratulations on your logging of the NHK1
synchros on 963 khz at 1420 UTC this morning. That's certainly one I'll
have to try for, as I had no idea that a co-channel with CRI was possible on
that frequency.

Yes, the domestic splatter during the 0800-1030 UTC Asian sunset period
does seem to be worse than during our local sunrise, but having stronger
Asian signals during that period does seem to compensate somewhat. From the
experience of previous TP seasons, I remember that our sunrise peaks will
become weaker and weaker in November, while the Asian sunset peaks will become
stronger and stronger. I guess the main challenge is how to engage in live
DXing  during that period without appearing to be a total fanatic to your
family. Maybe it's time for an "SDU?" (Software Defined Ultralight  :-)

73, Gary

In a message dated 11/4/2009 2:12:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
nhp@xxxxxxxx writes:

At 17:29  11/4/2009, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>As the November TP  propagation changes to favor the 0800-0930 UTC Asian
>sunset  period, there was a great difference in TP signal strengths
observed
>here  this morning when comparing that very productive period  with the
almost
>negligible sunrise enhancement.

I've been running some SDR-14 recordings in the hope of hearing a  sunset
at the transmitter peaks on the Chinese stations, Gary, but what I've  been
finding is that they haven't had enough strength to overcome the big
domestic splatter at that hour, even though the carriers are there at good
strength.  Pips are there, Mayak chimes are there, just not much else  ID'able.

The  big guns now....they're very readable.  I have  a wonderfully solid
"JOAK" ID from 0959 this morning, and a JOBK-666 ID  from earlier in the
month at the same time.

best  wishes,

Nick

original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA,
its  editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org