Re: [IRCA] More 1170 kHz TP Follies-- VOA with African Music at 1420 UTC?

At 16:07 10/21/2009, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>Thanks to Bruce, Nick, John, Guy and Walt for their inputs on the 1170 kHz
>TP's received recently, in the null of KPUG-1170.
>
>This morning's 1170 kHz mix around 1425 featured a much reduced KPUG, a
>loud African music station with a foreign language sounding like African
>(possibly VOA in the Philippines- also heard yesterday but without the
>African-sounding foreign language),

More on the VoA or lack of VoA on this channel (and I fear Bruce is right about KLOK being the mystery here).   VoA was quite common when listening offshore from Hawaii recently, and was also heard quite strongly on the east side of Oahu (mountain range immediately behind) using just a 6' diameter ALA100 loop indoors.   I wonder if its pattern has a little lobe in Hawaii's direction (but not in ours). Unfortunately, FMscan doesn't seem to have directional patterns for VoA?   PAL says they're directional away from us in the Northwest, but even more so for Hawaii I would think.

best wishes,

Nick