[IRCA] EXCELLENT Morning: Oct 21 on Orcas Isl.

[IRCA] EXCELLENT Morning: Oct 21 on Orcas Isl.

I got my antenna mods completed yesterday before the rains returned and I really don't know whether my excellent results here reflect excellent band conditions or some improvements in the Wellbrook Array or both. I suspect the latter. For me, the band was all about China. The JJ regulars were there, but the season is far enough along that they are down somewhat in strength and their co-channel CCs (mostly) are beginning to at least equal them in strength. That was the case on 774 and 828 this morning. 1026, Beijing Business Radio was the strongest I've ever heard it, running close to S-9 and 1377, CNR1 was running 10 dB over S-9 with "full quieting" It was my first "Perfect 10" of the season.

I also noted the plethora of NHK1s down low that Walt mentioned, but they were really the only example of boosted JJs that I noticed.

The most interesting stuff:

720 had at least two Asian stations at various times this morning. I need to review a recording.

792 had very nice romantic instrumental music for a while. The only thing that jumped out at me from the PAL list is "Love FM" from Seoul

981 CNR1 was HUGE

999 CNR1 was strong enough to overcome the off channel spike on the low side, for the first time logging them here on Orcas

1008 was clearly a weak CNR1 for the first time ever for me. PAL lists three synchros in SW China, Yunnan province. The catch of the season from here.

1080 Had an Asian running mostly far underneath. It seemed // to CNR1, but I could not be sure and no CNR1 is listed on 1080

1359 Was not only CNR1... a semi-rare visitor, but it had several echos on it.

1377 CNR1 was above S-9 every time I checked between 1423 and 1446 and was still audible at 1500 when I quit. (LSR = 1440)

Walter, did you have a recording SDR running???

Geez, what an excellent AM!

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights