[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-20... More Fun

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-20... More Fun

Hello All,

About a month ago Walt sent me an MP3 of a Chinese station mixing with
KPUG-1170 at a pretty good level, and recently it seemed that everyone except
me  had heard the KBS mega-station mixing with the Bellingham, WA (sports
talk)  domestic station. Running out of easy Ultralight TP's to chase after 107
were in  the log, I decided to give TP-chasing on 1170 a try during good
conditions this  morning.

KPUG is pretty far from here, so it was easy to null on the 9' loop.
Although the null bearing wasn't ideal for Korea, it didn't  matter during great
TP propagation (like this morning). Sure enough at  1411, there was a
Chinese music station mixing with KPUG's much-reduced signal,  then the KBS 500 kw
station HLSR joined in a minute later (with Korean talk,  then non-Korean
foreign-type music). The Chinese music station was UnID, but it  may possibly
have been the CNR1 reported by Bruce in his excellent Grayland  report (in
the current DXM).

The KBS station rose up to 9+ local-like strength at 1418 playing some
foreign music, completely taking over the frequency from both KPUG and the UnID
 Chinese, and was easily audible on the C.Crane SWP Slider with no help
from  the loop. The Chinese then came up in strength at 1422, before both TP's
began  to fade at 1430.

It was a very fun morning, and the KBS station (Ultralight TP #108)  was
the first TP I've heard on a domestic frequency since logging JOBB-830  (in
January of 1973) on a Sony TR-6400 :-)

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver:  Modified C.Crane SWP (7.5" Slider loopstick + CFJ455K5
filter)
9' (side) PVC-frame tuned passive loop