Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 13:15:47 -0400
From: "Jim Renfrew" <jrenfrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Radio
	Club of America"	<irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Chile logged!

Wrongo!

I logged the Chile signal on my Drake R8, I ran an audio line out of the

radio to the computer line in, and voila!  I have a Drake R8B as my
primary
DX machine, but I just park my old R8 on 516.38 all day long, and check
the
capture log occasionally to see what's come in.  There are also NAVTEX
broadcasts on 490 kHz, usually in the local language.  518 is generally
English.  .

The signal is audible on the Drake as a data stream of some kind.  Each
station signs on according to - usually - a four or eight hour schedule
on
the 10,20,30,40, or 50 minute mark.

>From the SeaTTY help tab:  "This program is designed to receive weather

reports, navigational warnings and weather charts transmitted in RTTY,
NAVTEX and HF-FAX (WEFAX) modes on longwave and shortwave bands.It can
decode GMDSS DSC  (Digital selective-calling system) HF and VHF
messages.Software also can automatically save NOAA Weather Radio SAME
voice
messages (NWR SAME) and them digital headers.

Additional hardware is not required - your need only receiver and
computer
with sound card. Minimal requirement for computer speed is about
Pentium-100."

I have only used this for NAVTEX on 490 and 518.

Jim Renfrew