Re: [IRCA] TV-Radio advertising OT

It depends on what each TV or radio station has going in terms of a Web
presence. If it's driving a lot of traffic to its site, then maybe it has a
shot at picking up enough Internet ads to offset the lost broadcast ads. A
lot of TV stations also have ads running before online clips, such as news
stories.

Some stations also are blurring the lines between what they've done in the
past in their medium and what they can do now. One example is KBIA-FM, which
recently picked up a show from the local NBC TV affiliate. People can listen
to the show on the radio, but if they go online, they can watch the video,
too, live or as a download.

Another example is WHB. Several years ago, the Kansas City CBS TV affiliate
outsourced its entire sports department to Metro Sports, a channel owned by
Time Warner Cable. That deal expired, and now the station is sourcing from
WHB: http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/08/kctv-whb.html. So in a way,
WHB is no longer "just" a radio station.

I guess the bottom line is the bottom line: If your ad revenue is dwindling,
it's because your audience is dwindling. So you have to look for new ways to
attract eyeballs and ears, or create new revenue streams by, in WHB's case,
finding new opportunities.