[IRCA] How to phase BOG's?

Several replies to my report about my BOG experience have suggested
trying phasing parallel BOG's.  I have questions...

How far apart should the parallel wires be?

Are there magic lengths, or are any two significantly different
lengths all that is required?

I gather there are black boxes out there that can be had for $$$ ...
but is there some cheap way to phase BOG's?

--Jim