Re: [IRCA] Grundig G8 Performance

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your assessment of the G8 performance, and sorry that you were
less than satisfied..

The heterodynes you mention (from 1400- 1430 kHz) are a congenital  issue
in the G8/ PL-300WT models, and show up in all these units. As  such,
ordering a replacement model from Amazon will not solve the problem.  Most owners
seem to tolerate this quirk, but it's a subjective issue that  bothers some
DXers more than others.

On the other hand, your new G8 should have much better low-band AM
sensitivity than an Eton E100, assuming that the G8 is properly aligned. The  E100
has a deserved reputation for being rather deaf on the low AM band, and the
G8 will always outperform it when both units are properly aligned. An AM
alignment instruction file for the G8/ PL-300WT models has been uploaded to
the  Yahoo Ultralightdx file section, if you would like to optimize the
sensitivity  in your model. Or, if you prefer, you can send your radio here for a
free AM  alignment.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 7/7/2009 5:39:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,