[IRCA] Tecsun R9012 alignment

Hello Deane,

Many thanks for your generous comments. I do recall the "scratchy tuner"
issue with new SRF-59's early last year (and sending out some replacements),
but  unfortunately most of the original SRF-59's which kicked off the
Ultralight  boom 18 months ago have also now developed the "scratchy tuner,"
including the one that shocked me by receiving JOAK-594, JOIB-747 and  HLCA-972
in November of 2007. For that unit only, I'm seriously considering a
transplant of a higher-quality SRF-39FP tuner component :>)

The Tecsun R9012 trimmer adjustment to extend the frequency coverage  to
1700 kHz typically proceeds exactly as you say-- turning the  trimmer
clockwise moves the band edge upward in coverage. The posted  instructions, which
were developed after several WRX911 and R911 alignments,  need to be updated
on this point.

The most important DXing tip for the R9012 is to place the whip antenna in
a vertical position (without extending it) to get it away from the
loopstick,  for maximum AM sensitivity. It is amazing the difference that this
makes, and  I'm kind of wondering how many DXers are attempting AM-DX on the
R9012 and  coming away unimpressed, simply because they are unaware of this
quirk. An  alignment according to the posted instructions is also important,
since it  typically provides a major boost in either high or low band AM
sensitivity, or  both.

Keeping the above tips in mind, DXers can ensure that they will get their
full $9 worth of excitement from this amazing bargain, which has decent AM
sensitivity and outstanding nulling ability. Thanks again for your comments,
 Deane, and have fun with your new R9012!

73, Gary DeBock

**************Big savings on Dell’s most popular laptops. Now starting at
$449!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222382499x1201454962/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B214663472%3B36502367%3Bg)