Re: [IRCA] The "Pipe Dream" Traveling MW Monster Loop Antenna - a little OT

Hi Dave,

----- Original Message -----
From: DAVID CIV DFAS HASCALL
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, D1028Gary@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 5 May 2009 11:09:16 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [IRCA] The "Pipe Dream" Traveling MW Monster Loop Antenna - a little OT

I have an off topic question (though it may be useful for DX'ers who
want their PVC loop frames to have some "color" to them).  Have you done
much painting on PVC pipe?

According to http://www.pvcworkshop.com/painting.htm the recommended way is to get some of the PVC cleaner to remove the markings before painting, although priming could be done but as they say it adds a step. The Krylon paint is best and the article even shows how to do it.

You certainly piqued my interest in this subject as I have made some small loop antennas from PVC in the past, but would like to go for neutral colors for those to be left outside. Probably my favorite (for shortwave listening) is the 100' (30 meters) loop which is very directional and gives me about 6-7 db of gain.

Good luck on your endeavors.

73 de Joe, KJ8O