Re: [IRCA] The "Pipe Dream" Traveling MW Monster Loop Antenna - a little OT

Re: [IRCA] The "Pipe Dream" Traveling MW Monster Loop Antenna - a little OT

Thanks for all of the hard work and great detail on these monster loops,
Gary!

I'm particularly interested in anything that says "foolproof."  You'd
have to know me, to fully understand.

I have an off topic question (though it may be useful for DX'ers who
want their PVC loop frames to have some "color" to them).  Have you done
much painting on PVC pipe?  I have been reading up on building
Australian didgeridoos out of PVC pipes.  Obviously a white one, with
the manufacturers codes and such on the side would work but not look to
good (and the codes sometimes show through paint).  I've heard that you
should prime them and then use acrylic paint, others say sand them and
then use Krylon Fusion paints (for plastics and fiberglass).  I've also
heard that one should avoid oil paints as they may break down the pipe.
So if you (or anyone) has any experience or guidance on painting PVC,
I'd like to know.

For those inclined, google +make +PVC +didgeridoo and there are dozens
(at least) of pages on building them but the painting info is all over
the map.  I thought that building a didgeridoo would be a good
grandparent - granddaughter summer project, on the cheap (less than
$10).

73,
Dave in Indy

Message: 4