[IRCA] The "Pipe Dream" Traveling MW Monster Loop Antenna

[IRCA] The "Pipe Dream" Traveling MW Monster Loop Antenna

Hello Guys,

In the experimentation here to develop huge MW loop antennas using
lightweight, tough PVC frames, I had often thought wistfully about how effective
these monster loops would be on nearby ocean beaches-- if only I could fit
them  in my compact car. It seemed like an impossible dream-- or was it?

After building ten of these PVC loops from 18" up to 7.5' feet per side, I
had lots of experience in PVC assembly. I recalled that the larger diameter
of  PVC pipe fits rather snugly in the fitting slots when fully  inserted,
with or without glue. There was also experience in using silicone  rubber to
"lock in" symmetrical coil windings, after pulling out all the slack  in
the turns. Recalling these two facts made me convinced that a collapsible,
fully symmetrical monster PVC loop could be designed that would easily fit in
a  compact car, for easy deployment anywhere a DXer wished to use it.

The project proceeded like a dream, and the first "Pipe Dream" 6 foot
(diagonal) collapsible PVC loop is now a reality. The system uses silicone
rubber sealant on all four coil winding pipes, with two removable spreader arms
and two removable coil winding pipes. The single remaining PVC pole of 6
feet  (with the attached coil) can then be easily transported in a compact
car, along  with the removed parts.

Reassembly is a foolproof 30-second job, in which the spreader arms and
coil winding pipes are reinserted into their respective PVC fittings.  The
"Pipe Dream" Loop suddenly becomes remarkably rigid and  symmetrical, with gain
and nulling ability equal to a fully-glued 6' PVC  loop. This size of
passive tuned loop antenna provides SERIOUS performance  for any receiver!

Of course, the design is not limited to the 6 foot dimension. The
collapsible PVC loops can be as large or as small as the DXer desires  (although 7
foot diagonal loops are probably the maximum size for compact  car owners).

Apartment and townhouse dwellers can use this collapsible monster loop for
great DX at ocean beaches, state parks, or anywhere else they choose (it
will even fit inside a standard room, if your family can tolerate  it).
Photos of the first "Pipe Dream" collapsible PVC loop have been  uploaded to the
"ultralightdx" Yahoo group site, and full construction  information will be
given in the upcoming PVC Loop article.

73, Gary DeBock

**************2009 3 Free CREDIT SCORES: See Your 3 Credit Scores from All
3 Bureaus FREE!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221797372x1201397989/aol?redir=https:%2F%2Fwww.freescore.com%2FOffers%2FStart%2FFreeCreditRepor
tAndScore.aspx%3FID%3D91831F371F138345B53A153F49D4D872%26siteid%3De927580bf7
)