Re: [IRCA] Loop antenna

> I'm looking to buy a good loop antenna for the fall, when I
> resume active AM DXing. I'm thinking of a Quantum, but want
> to consider all worthy options. Have any of you had any
> particular success with a particular loop? I plan to use
> whatever I get with my AOR7030 at my Burnt River ON DX site.

The combination of a large ferrite rod loop antenna with a small whip
antenna and single potentiometer combiner has been very good.  Here's the
article on it.

http://www.am-dx.com/simple_phaser.htm

The whip supplies a small amount of out-of-phase signal to improve the loop
null.  The resultant null depth is greater than from any loop I've used.

The ferrite loop is broadband, so it's easy to use.  When combined with the
DX Engineering RPA-1 preamp, it performs exceptionally well.  For a portable
and easily moved antenna, it does a great job.  Very easy to build.

Same with the balanced vertical.  Simple and very quick construction and
good results.  I've found that by moving it to different rooms in the house
it tends to improve reception in specific directions and reduce others.

I put together a second loop/whip system in my truck and it's very
effective.  So much so that I've permanently replaced the dual copper tube
loop.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI