To: <tvfmdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <nordquis@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 1:05 PM
Subject: [Tvfmdx] DX "lay of the land" from the Myrtke Beach area

Hey Fred and Group;

I have a question.  We are planning a family vacation in mid June to
Ocean Isle beach, NC (just up the coast from Myrtle Beach, SC).  What
would FM DX be like from there?  I've seen tons of long haul coastal
trop from New England down to the Carolina coast, and even Florida.  Is
long haul tropo (on say, the car radio) feasable from this location?  My
concern (not knowing much about coastal tropo) is that at Ocean isle
Beach, the coast turns and runs almost E-W.  Is that a factor?

What about AM DX?  Summer conditions and lightning crashes not
withstanding, does the "Coastal Carolina" area suffer from lousy ground
conductivity, like most of the SE US has?  Being on the Atlantic coast,
one would think of TA's.  Again bad time of the year but I never hear of
Carolinas TA DX.  Too far south?

Thanks.

73,
Dave in Indy