Re: [IRCA] "Praise 980" SOLVED

As a side note, KICA was very loosely connected to the career of singer Buddy Holly. His producer, Norm Petty, worked at the station, as did a couple of people who sang back up on some of Buddy's songs, and at least some (maybe all) of his recordings were made at Petty's studio down the street from KICA. At least, that's what I discovered when I Googled the call letters. A bit OT, but I thought I'd mention it for the music junkies in the group.

Bruce

John H. Bryant wrote:
I went back through this string, making a check list and found that we had eliminated all of the likely candidates except for Fallon, NV, the former KHOS transmitter in Sonora, TX and KICA, Clovis (northeastern )NM. I tried to find a website for KICA, with no luck, but when I went to the owner's website (Tallgrass Broadcasting outta Illinois), I found a link to GRACE 980, KICA, Clovis, NM:

http://www.3592.com/onlinedb/kicaam/docs/stream_kicaam2.html

They broadcast Country Gospel, 24/7 and stream it on the web. It is still pre-dawn here and I was able to // the stream with the live. Its them, all right.... the dulcet tones of Loretta Lynn cut right through the rest of the sludge down on the noise floor!

Here are the IDs that I heard from 1040 until 1100, on-line.

"GRACE 980" by that male announcer
"GRACE 980, A POSITIVE WAY TO START YOUR DAY"

and at 1058:
"THE SPIRIT OF THE HIGH PLAINS, KICA, CLOVIS" and the women singing "TALLGRASS BROADCASTING"

and at 1104 "GRACE 980, ITS AMAZING"

I mis-heard the "Grace" as "Praise" but a normal google search wouldn't have kicked it up, even as Grace 980....

The funniest thing is the commercial that I heard and thought might be for "californiaraisens.com" erh, ah, it was actually for "californiapsychics.com" The psychics are apparently their only sponsors, at least overnight.

Its amazing how much easier it is to understand things when you can actually hear them :>) And, I gotta tell you, KICA is not broadcasting at peak efficiency or anywhere near it. I'd guess that they produce so little income that upgrading the ground system or replacing feedlines, etc. is just outta the question. I bet that a third of the smaller stations in the country are in that situation.

So........ we determined that XEMF has moved from 780 to 980, but that XENR, also in Coahuila, is still on the air on 980, AND we've IDed KICA.... now about those two XEs that sign off from 980 at 0800.

WELL DONE, GUYS! Thanks to Bill Block, Chris Knight, Bruce Portzer, Martin Foltz and the Kaz! I hope that several of you added to your log.