[IRCA] TP's for Mar 22......JOLF-1242

No, you read right....but this is a quote from March 22 of 2008, not 2009.

>..... 1242 seemed likely JOLF per Japanese talk, but by the hour, there were either  two stations, or JOLF has odd pips.  What was heard sounded like 3 "cuckoo" sounds followed by a long tone, but I thought was more likely 3 short pips of differing pitch and offset in time, but with the long pip on the hour more or less the same pitch.
>
>However, checked a recording made last September on 1242kHz, and the same pip sequence is on there too.

Nobody replied to this at the  time, but Guy Atkins kindly looked at his Perseus recordings from his Dec 29 and 30th Grayland DXpedition, after I'd heard the same sequence just recently, and found these same pips at the top of a number of hours, and made some audio recordings.  There was no other obvious station there, just Japanese talk, so I think we can safely assume that JOLF runs a time pip sequence that sounds like 3 short "cuckoo"s and a longer time pip on the hour.  So if you hear such a sequence in the murk on 1242 (it carries very well), then you  can be pretty sure you're hearing JOLF.

What's really odd, is that I just discovered that both Bruce Conti and I had logged this on a Grayland DXpedition in 2002, so it's been around for awhile, and, ahem, I'd forgotten.

Thanks for your help, Guy!

best wishes,

Nick

Nick Hall-Patch