Re: [IRCA] Fwd: [mwc] Antenna developments

Quoting Brandon Jordan <bcdx.org@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Nick,
>
> What is the benefit from this system compared to the Wellbrook Phased
> Array based on ALA-100 loops?
>

> >> Just to let you know; Wellbrook has finally added a K9AY Phased Array to
> >> their portfolio.

It is supposed to deliver better front to back nulls, Brandon;  the Wellbrook
website shows simulations of the directionality of both systems.  The extra
directivity makes sense as you're phasing two somewhat uni-directional antennas
compared with phasing two bi-directional antennas.

best wishes,

Nick

Here are some further details from Andy Ikin on the K9AY list this morning:

>Several MW dxers have favourably compared the Wellbrook Phased Broadband Loop
version of the array to an 800ft BoG. As the K9AY Array has a higher RDF than a
phased loop array, then increased directivity is afforded.

>The Arrays Phasing Controller can also phase Active Broadband Loops and Active
Vertical/Active Dipole pairs. Hence, I have been able to make my own
comparisons. In all the on-air tests on MW, the K9AY Array has a much wider rear
null. For example, where reception of Newfoundland is unusable due adjacent
channel splatter from Germany and Spain using either Phased Loops or Active
Dipoles, much clearer reception of NL was had with the K9AY array!

>There is one important feature; when using the K9AY or Active Vertical/Dipole
Array; the susceptibility to locally radiated E-Field noise is much higher
compared to the using a Phased Loop Array . I measured up to 20dB reduction in
local noise using The Phased Loop Array. So it is important to deploy the K9AY
array well away from local noise to appreciate the added benefit of the increase
directivity.