Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] IBOC carrier precision

On Monday 09 February 2009 19:23, Brandon Jordan wrote:
> I know there are some real IBOC experts on the lists and have a
> question. Are most, if not all, IBOC stations precisely
> on-frequency? I believe I read that IBOC required extreme frequency
> precision of the carrier frequency? I am looking for MW stations to
> help in accurate calibration of SDR receivers in order to measure
> frequency offsets, and am hoping my memory regarding this is
> accurate.
>
> On a positive note, I calibrated the G313e to IBOC WLAC 1510 kHz,
> and was then pleased to note that IBOC KMOX's carrier measured
> exactly 1210.0000 khz.

There are actually two levels of precision specified in the AM IBOC
standard.  Level I ("network synchronized") assumes the use of GPS
synchronization, and specifies that the carrier frequency be accurate
to within +/- 0.02 Hz.  Level II ("non-network synchronized"), on the
other hand, requires only +/- 2.0 Hz accuracy.  The standard
recommends that Level I precision be used "to support numerous
advanced system features", but it is not a requirement.

The majority of AM IBOC stations appear to meet the Level I spec and
are therefore good frequency references, but there are exceptions.
One notable exception is WQEW-1560, which is on 1559.9983 or
thereabouts.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON