To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 8:41 PM
Subject: [IRCA] Beacon on 1650 +/-

On 01/17, Saturday evening, on 1650 Khz from 20:30 CST to 20:35 (
02:30-02:35UTC) heard what sounded like morse code. Signal was very
weak but sounded like MEI or possibly MIE. First character is
definitely an "M" followed by two short "dot"
characters. Code was medium speed with a several second pause
between code groups. And, no I don't have a recording of
this. At first I thought I am imaging the code but later suspect
this may have been a beacon.

At that time 1650 was
dominated by Spanish, no sign of WHKT, CINA or KCNZ. Does any one
know if there is a beacon on or close to 1650khz? I recall years ago
there was a MER beacon in the upper band from South America. Do they
still exist today? If so this would be a good target during upcoming
sunspot maximum in a few years (good southern CX).

Tom
Jasinski
Shorewood, IL
Drake R8A and Quantum loop.