[IRCA] More fun with my One Tube (1H4G) radio

[IRCA] More fun with my One Tube (1H4G) radio

I have been having more fun with the one tube radio I built and
described last week. Lots of logs from all over western Canada and
the US. A couple of the better ones have been on 1700 - last
night had KBGG Des Moines IA and tonight, KVNS Brownsville TX. No
sign of the Mexican (XEPR?) that usually dominates 1700 here for some reason.

Hard to believe that a one tube set could receive the 880 watt KVNS at
this distance - 1940 miles or 3120 kilometers per my calculations. But
KVNS does seem to get out very well. I have read of DXers at the dawn
of broadcasting, 1922 or so, using one tube radios to receive stations
(at that that, using a few hundred watts at best in most cases) all
over North America.

Antenna same 50 foot wire I used before. To receive stations at the high end, I tapped the coil and installed a bandswitch to give two ranges - the original one 510 - 1300 kHz and the second, 860 - 1720 kHz or so. Also heard what I presume
is the Navtext service on 518 tonight.

73,

Deane McIntyre VE6BPO