Re: [IRCA] Mystery Station: The All New 1470, KWID AM

At 02:25 1/3/2009, you wrote:

>On December 30, on 1470 kHz at 1400UTC (8:00 AM local time here in Oklahoma) I logged a "pop-up" ID that was as plain as day, at a decent level. After the ID, a TOH news program began and things deteriorated rather quickly, never to return. The other two of the Three Okies have each listened to the recording independently and we all three hear exactly the same thing:
>
>"Today's Hits, Today's ------, The All New 1470, KWID AM....." and then the news starts. Its possible that the announcer said, "KWYD" but otherwise we are pretty sure that is exactly what was said. The only problem is that we find no record of such a station.

The latest NRC log, with many copies now in Victoria, BC,  is generally considered pretty up to date, and shows only KWRD as a possibility on 1470 for this.

I would have thought "R" would be fairly easily mistaken as "I", John, yet Gerry Thomas'  article "Perceptual Confusions Among Letters of the Alphabet" (IRCA reprint G021, available from Lee Freshwater)  shows only a few percentage likelihood of confusion between the two letters  (though "I" has the highest likelihood after "Y" for a misreading of "R")

As Paul says, maybe let a few others try their ears on it.  Of course, if someone is located close to KWRD, maybe they can verify whether a new slogan is being used.

Nick