Re: [IRCA] GMT Time Question

> -6 hours for Central Standard Time.  1000 GMT would be
> 4:00 AM CST.

> > How do I convert GMT time to Central time?
> >
> > *1000 GMT would be what time Central?

To visualize it on the globe, the earth rotates once in 24 hours.
The earth is divided up into 360 degrees of longitude, which
are zero (England) to 180 mid-Pacific, and back again. This
means that, during each hour, the earth's rotation moves
by 15 degrees. If the time zone boundaries were truly straight,
you could say that 60 degrees of rotation takes exactly four
hours.  By placing a string along the equator's track on a globe,
(it would slide off if done elsewhere) and seeing what fraction
of 360 degrees is used to get from one point to another, you
can divide 24 hours by that same fraction to estimate the
time difference. For various political reasons, this is not
truly exact. In the example, England (0 deg.) to New Orleans
(-90 degrees) is 1/4th of 360 degrees, and is six hours behind,
which is 1/4th of a day.

With just a bit of practice you can look at a map of the
world and estimate to an hour or two, what time it is, then,
at any other spot on the earth. when you know the current
time at your site. There are a handful of places, such
as India, Nfld. now Venezuela that keep time to a 30
minute offset from what it would seem to want to be.

Just remember that the GMT date advances to the next
day at 2359 plus one minute, while it remains the
previous day in the US for 5 to 8 more hours. And,
due to the International Date Line it is frequently
the next day's morning, in Asia, when still the
previous evening here.    HTH.

- Bob Foxworth