[IRCA] Falkland islands Radio Service Begins Streaming

[IRCA] Falkland islands Radio Service Begins Streaming

From
http://blogs.rnw.nl/medianetwork/falkland-islands-radio-service-starts-internet-streaming#comment-797581

Falkland Islands Radio Service starts Internet streaming December 23rd, 2008
- 13:01 UTC by Andy Sennitt <http://blogs.rnw.nl/strategie/Andy%20Sennitt>

I just saw this message from "rob4aluk"on the Digital Spy website:

*"A friend from the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic emailed me to say
that the Falkland Islands Radio Service (FIRS) has started to broadcast on
the Internet for 6 hours per day (from 1000 GMT). Their stream URL is : *

http://asx.abacast.com/falkland_islands_radio-live-24.asx

*I've been told that its a direct link up with their 530kHz mediumwave
signal so the audio is not that hot but might be of interest to those who
would like to listen to a local service in a UK overseas territory." *

Indeed, I am listening to it as I type this, and it appears to be an off-air
relay with some fading. To my ears, it sounds like one of the
FM transmitters rather than mediumwave. The stream is only 32 kbps, but the
audio quality is quite good.

The schedule through 8 January 2009 is available on the FIRS
website<http://www.firs.co.fk/schedule.php>.
( http://www.firs.co.fk/schedule.php) According to the Falklands Government
website, the streaming service commenced in early November via the station's
website, but I cannot find a link there.

Penguin News says that in the near future, podcasts of a wide range of FIRS
programmes will be available to download. Station Manager Corina Bishop
said Synergy Information Systems has been instrumental in ensuring that the
streaming could go ahead, adding that it could not have happened without the
support and sponsorship of Cable and Wireless. Although Falklands Radio will
initially not be online after the Lifestyles Programme finishes each
weekday, the plan is to extend the hours in the near future.

--
Sincerely,
Paul B. Walker, Jr.