Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Japan in New Jersey on 747

At 02:47 11/25/2008, you wrote:

Between 1022 and 1038z 11/23, there was a definite carrier on 747. Unfortunately, there was no discernible audio and lots of slop. Give the fact that the carrier was so stable, I believe that with a better antenna and WSB nulled out sufficiently, that Japan could be heard in New Jersey. I also had slight traces on 693, 738, and 774 on the recording.

These are definitely worthwhile targets in the east during these quiet conditions, Bill. 160m amateurs in the northeast are working Japanese contacts, for example. And, while working on Cape Cod last month, I also noted the 747 carrier in the presunrise period after the Europeans were in daylight. This was using an ALA100 with a 16m circumference loop, so as you say, a better antenna might have brought something out.

best wishes,

Nick