Re: [IRCA] Applications for two new AM stations in Toronto Area

Re: [IRCA] Applications for two new AM stations in Toronto Area

David Faulkner wrote:
Dave, Scott & group:

Their day pattern was probably set up to protect the late CKCY, Sault
Ste. Marie, while at nght they would need to be more concerned about
WMMN, which used to get into Port Huron quite well so I suspect it
was beamed north.  I used to be able to listen to sports events on
WMMN (back when we first moved here in 1994) but now hardly hear them
at all.  I guess  that's the result of their night power cut & move
to a non-directional pattern.

How well does Canada monitor compliance?

Not especially well, at least in recent years. I remember that the late CKTY 1110 in Sarnia gave huge fits to WBT and others on the channel until it finally went to FM a decade or so ago.

920 has more than just West Virginia to protect - the old-timers on the channel are Providence and Milwaukee, and then there's Columbus, Kingston NY, Trenton NJ and a few others that came in a little later in the game.

The problem these days is that there are so few Canadian AMs left that it's almost impossible for one Canadian AM to interfere with another - and if it's a US station being interfered with, the US station has to first figure out where the interference is coming from, and then pursue the whole mess through the State Department, which usually takes up a lot of time with minimal results.