Re: [IRCA] What's with this ultralight stuff?

Re: [IRCA] What's with this ultralight stuff?

At 08:48 PM 11/10/2008, you wrote:

I do understand it. Kind of. But, these ultralights are very little
different in selectivity and sensitivity from the old tube type table radio
that had an RF amplifier section. A six tuber as compared to the AA5.

Now, if you were using it barefoot, that would mean something to me, but
coupling large loops to them? Doesn't that kind of take away the challenge?
The only handicap I can see is that it's much harder to tune. They are quite
sensitive.

Well Leonard.....just to answer a few of your questions......Yes DXing with these Little Radios IS a Challenge. Even using them with EXTERNAL Antennas like Loops and Longwires is still a challenge. You have to remember that these are basic little sets with no Bells and Whistles. We don't have Noise Blankers, RF Gains, Tone Controls, Pass Band Tuning or Notch Filters, Multiple Filters or or any of the other Aids that are built into todays Modern Communications Receivers. The Basic Ultralight Radios don't even have Digital Readout! As for using them Barefoot Leonard...Many of the Ultralight Guys DO run them Barefoot...and I do too. As a matter of fact ....in the last 10 Months...I have Logged 525 Stations using a BAREFOOT Ultralight Radio. I just recently started using some External Antennas....as I am now finding with over 500 stations heard....it's getting REAL HARD to hear new ones!!...So I am wimping out a bit and using some external antennas....in an attempt to bag a few more!! I still do a lot of Barefoot DXing with the ULRs....but everyone once in a while I hook up the Loop!! Believe me Leonard...even with the loop......I ain't finding it easy to hear new ones now...

Now you may ask why are all these Crazy Old Buggers getting all fired up about DXing with a Radio the size of a Cigarette Lighter?? Well Leaonard.....it's called FUN!!! We have all been DXing for Many years with Multiple DX Machines and Big Antennas.....and we have found that everything has come Full Circle. I started DXing back in the Early 60's with a Pocket Transistor Radio...and slowly moved thru the Progression of Communication Receivers. Over the years....things got a little stale after the bands changed due to Gov't Regulations, Overcrowding, Man Made Noise and IBOC!! Listening on the Big DX Machines just wasn't as much fun as it used to be....but guess what.....Listening on the little Pocket Rockets is STILL FUN. We have a core of well over 100 DX'ers that are now turning back the Calender and DXing with Ultralight "Pocket Radios"....just like we did when we were kids...and even though there are some who can't see the thrill we are experiencing...we are having a Ball!! As well as hearing 532 Stations on my Ultralights...I have added OVER 200 NEW STATIONS to my overall log in 10 Months!! I haven't heard that many NEW stations in over 10 Years on the Big DX Rigs. Almost everyday one of the ULR DXers in our group logs something that "Just shouldn't be possible" on a tiny little pocket radio!!

But Leonard...don't just take my word for it.......give it a try...what the heck is there to lose?? The worst that can happen is that you spend some quality time at the dials...and end up logging a bunch of new stations. In the process you too will log stuff that you won't believe possible using only 2 Penlight Batteries!!

Hopefully a few more of the Ultralight Enthusiasts will chime in here Leonard and tell you how much FUN they are having......

So...give it a try Leonard before you rule out the challenge of Dxing with an Ultralight...with or without an External Antenna!!

It's all in the name of FUN Leonard.....that's all we're trying to accomplish with these things. However, Along the way ......we have logged some amazing stuff!!

I had an idea back in the day to start a QRP DX challenge. There was a guy
in AZ who was using a one transistor regen with a long wire antenna. Now,
that kind of DXing would be a challenge.

I remember that we had the graveyard channel challenges back in the early
90s. Those were fun.

Well....now you've hit the nail on the head...Ultralighting is pretty much the same as what you describe above. As a matter of fact....it's exactly like that!!

Leonard you should check out the Ultralight DX Group on Yahoo Groups.......there's a lot of Old Time Dxers over there that are having a riot with this Sub Culture of AM BCB DX.

--
Leonard Hyde
Weed, CA

Leonard...hook that 6 Foot Loop up to an Ultralight and take a trip back in time!! Pretend you're a Kid again listening to your Transistor radio under your Pillow late at night!!

73...ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC
Enjoy Ultralight Radio DXing......It's like being a KID again!!

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)