Re: [IRCA] TPs on Orcas: Average to Good!

Re: [IRCA] TPs on Orcas: Average to Good!

Yes, Patrick, you are correct....

I'm under 20 all-saltwater miles from Vancouver, which I overlook from my house and about the same distance from Victoria, through the islands. I think that Colin momentarily forgot where I live. I believe that the local QRM here is considerably worse than Colin suffers. However, I'm in a fairly quiet location and I have really good, really large antennas; Colin in his high rise, unfortunately, has neither. I also have a clear view all the way up the Strait of Georgia, some 300 miles, straight toward the Asian Coast. IMHO, that is the key difference. Walter, in a single family house in Victoria with a decent-sized yard, has improved his antenna farm tremendously over the past three years. It and my farm are fairly close to equal, as are our DX catches on many mornings. My feeling is that I still am able to hear better than Walt maybe half the time, because of my clear water path (I'm about a mile from the shore, too, in that direction) which no one in Victoria can have in the direction of Asia.... They do tend to hear DU much better than do I, so things are evened out to an extent..

So, Colin is working under VERY difficult conditions in his micro environment and propagation has to be doing quite well to overcome them. Colin, I'm sorry that I kinda gloated. I probably should concentrate on being very grateful for my set up... which I am, unless I forget myself!

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest