Re: [IRCA] TPs on Orcas: Average to Good!

Re: [IRCA] TPs on Orcas: Average to Good!

> Gee, I'm sorry that so many others found conditions still pretty
> poor.... I dunno where I'm getting the DX, but it is darn sure back
> here on Orcas.

If things are good there and appalling everywhere else, I think
it might come down to your geographical location and
perhaps your relative distance from many of the more annoying
locals and semi-locals.

a.) You are in a rural spot. The rest of us are not.
b.) Your noise levels are lower.
c.) For whatever reason your splatter is lower
and you are using more directional antennas

If you are, in fact, capable of using a directional antenna to favor
the North, then you have eliminated a big portion of offending interference.

To my North is Vancouver and lots of potential splatter.
To my South is Seattle and more interference.

Walt and Nick face even a greater challenge being less than 3 miles from
a really powerful AM transmitter.

Me: I am 4 miles to a 10Kw xmtr that has 250 KW of ERP in my direction.

The bulk of my listening is for all intents and purposes, omnidirectional
from an apartment balcony - with improvised antennas that are
in no way reaping the full benefit of the gear that I use; Drake receivers, Wellbrook antennas...
I often get better reception on my E1 and its whip by looking out a South facing window -
that the East facing balcony mounted antennas.

The fact that I hear anything at all on mornings like this is remarkable.
--
Colin Newell - Editor - coffeecrew.com | coffee.bc.ca | DXer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing