Re: [IRCA] Hearing C-quam Stereo Signal

> How do you think I feel -- having to admit that I have a GM Car
> radio from the late 1980's ???

Heh!  My truck is a 1988 K5 Chevy Blazer.  The original Delco radio was
really quite good.  On AM it was nearly as good as the replacement
Blaupunkt, except for the 1620 upper limit.  I replaced the 10.7 IF filters
with some Mutata 150's on FM and it worked exceptionally well.  As to the
truck, it doesn't have air bags which seem to cause as many problems as they
potentially protect against.  It doesn't have the overbearing computer
system that beeps and boops whenever *anything* is slightly off.  And I can
fix anything on it without having to pay a dealer $100 per hour.  I am truly
an automotive Luddite.  I will *never* buy a vehicle later than perhaps
early 90's.  Right now I'm looking for a 1973-1975 Chevy Blazer body in
great shape.  I want the full-convertible version.

> It is NOT KOMO in Seattle. the Stereo signal -- comes and goes -- with
> location. And while it appears to be KOMO --- I can hear some other
> Spanish Station under KOMO -- when the C-quam signal is present.

IIRC, C-QUAM is triggered by a subaudible tone on the carrier.  Could a SAH
of the right frequency create a false indication?  Anyone else with a AM
Stereo radio ever see this?

Craig Healy
Providence, RI