Re: [IRCA] Day 2 in Kenai, Alaska

Hi Kevin,

     Congratulations on your continued TP loggings from  Kenai.  Your E100
certainly is getting a nice workout, and I'm happy that  John was able to
replace the stock loopstick with one that works better on the  low band.

     Your logging of 4RN-792 was possibly the  first clear reception of a DU
station on a stock Ultralight in North  America.  I have heard traces of audio
from 2NR-738 and 5AN-891 on a  stock SRF-T615 at Grayland, but not at a level
that I would consider a  solid logging.

     Kevin, the ability of a DXer to  tolerate extreme cold on an ocean beach
seems directly related to the  quality and quantity of DX he is receiving.
During a 38 degree (with icy  wind) morning at a Grayland beach with Guy Atkins
in early May, we shivered for  about two hours as clam diggers drove by,
laughing at us in our  predicament.  The worst part was that the band itself had
clammed up,  leaving us with one weak logging of JOUB-774 for all our efforts.
After  that, despite the loss of sleep, we both jumped in our warm cars and
drove  straight back to Puyallup.

     73,   Gary