[IRCA] Rose Spit Haida Gwaii report relay - part 3

[IRCA] Rose Spit Haida Gwaii report relay - part 3

Via Walter Salmaniw - Masset, Haida-Gwaii

For the first half of the night, the most southerly BOG was fantastic, picking up all the above stations. For the most part, the other BOGs had little or no DU activity.  Quite remarkable that the southerly BOG would have a strong DU station, while the more northerly BOGs would have nothing butan Asian station.

Once the dawn period started (I'll say arbitrarily about 12:15+)

I more or less switched totally over to the NW wire which was the best performer by far.  The 30 degree wire was a big disappointment with few stations heard on that wire.

The Russians were back on LW with 153, 180, 189, and 279 all booming in, while 234 was a 7+.
531 continued with Super radio network 531 93.5 FM. Again, who's that?
Sounds like they'll be heading to FM soon as in Canada so often.  The NW wire was owned by NHK1 on 531 with 9+ signals.  This station has been very strong during my entire visit here. Once again, the Japanese were very strong this morning, especially the NHK1 stations at the bottom of the band. 540 and Okinawa on 549 were all in //.  Plenty others too.

612 had NHK1 and a Filipino at 14:12, likely DYHP.

684 usually has trouble with IBOC, but didn't notice any of that this morning.  Not sure who was there with choral music at 12:48.

702 was fun with both NHK2 with Russian lessons at 12:53 and Australia.2BL.

720  North Korea was very strong, // to 2850.

738:  Like John,Taiwan Fisheries station was heard at 14:32, at 9 level, also // to 1143.

801:  KTWG strongly heard this morning, with mostly non-stop religious hymns.  Finally had a nice ID at 14:59, including �Radio 800�.

882.35:  Carrier was strong there today, with some weak audio.  Will need more study for sure.

1413:  As close to a10 level as I can imagine!  Plenty ofmentions of  KBC Radio.  This is JOIF, at 13:53.

1458 had a Filipino station, with English, presumed RadioBantay (DYZZ),  Very strong.

1512 also had a Filipino.  Heard �KY Jelly and number 2�.� InEnglish.  Likely DYAB.

1548 of course was Australian at 13:39.

1575 was interesting. At 13:50, AFN was way over VOA, although the latter had an English ID at 13:50.

Both 1593 and 1602 had NHK2 transmitters at 13:08.

The 1st tier stations continued for some time after ..right up to about 9:00 am local. Pretty impressive!  Fall must be just around the corner!

 I noted that the active antenna worked exceptionally well on the medium waves once again, if one is in a very electrically quiet environment, this might just be all that is needed and it's tiny.

Of course, these were just the highlights.

A very good night at Rose Spit, and as I type this, my eyes keep closing ..slept very little if at all last night!

Good DX to all.  I�ll be leaving Masset on Tuesday for my return to Victoria, so all the fun I've been having up
here will need to be replaced to the reality of my work!

Walt Salmaniw, Masset, BC.
-------------- END OF PART 3

--
Colin Newell - Editor - coffeecrew.com | coffee.bc.ca | DXer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing