[IRCA] Morning TPs from Orcas Island: 31 August

[IRCA] Morning TPs from Orcas Island: 31 August

DXed from 1255 until 1340. It was a very interesting and "good" morning, almost exclusively Asian until quite late; I had 35 audios, with well over half being at language recognition (7) or above. The strongest stations were 963 the CRI RR Service at a very solid 9 and HLAZ-1566 running a close second. I really wonder if the Chinese haven't doubled up on transmitters at that site, aded towers or something. 963 have been one of the leading CCs for quite a long time, but never so clearly dominant as this year, even out-shining the Japanese Big Guns.

The very low band NHK1s were in again and 612 was a blast.... JOLK most of the time until about 1328 and then 4QR in Brisbane, after dawn. So, too, was 891, JOHK until dawn, then 5AN with ABC News. Other interesting channels: 864 continues to be almost an open carrier, often quite strong. It was in very weak probably KK this AM (the North Korean, KCBS); 936 presumed Ahui was doing very well briefly; 1017, caught the CRI KK service at TOH... wonderful fanfares and then ID in Chinese. Unfortunately, I wasn't running the recorder. Soon after 1300, I would swear that 1044 was in RR; it darn sure wasn't Japanese, the scheduled CRI JJ Service dominant here on 1044. My guess is that CRI threw the wrong switch, since there seem to be no Russian stations currently operating on 1044 in this region. I tried to // with 963, but 1044 faded down too quickly. I also heard CC on 1305 which might have been CNR2 or Shandung... was an 8, but dropped too quickly to parallel.

So, the conditions have recovered.... not Great, but Good here on Orcas!

Hava nice Holiday!

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest