Re: [IRCA] New antenna

Ira,

On Saturday 30 August 2008 06:46:41 am Ira Elbert New, III wrote:
> Can you pass along the specs? I would love to put something up here for
> 160m. Congrats on the catch and the QSO too!

Certainly.   I started with 128 feet of wire.  My coax turns where it comes
out of the side of the house, and goes along side the house about 12 feet to
a point about 4 feet off the ground and along side an unused chimney.  There
I have a fence post with a small shelf on it, and an old rubbermaid tool
screwed to it.

Inside the tool box is a 750 pico farad vacuum variable capacitor.  The coax
splits here.
The shield goes to a ground rod, and to wire that is electrically bonded to
about 200 feet of 4 foot high chain link fence that acts as a giant radial.
Another wire goes the other way around the house for more ground plane.

The hot side goes into the side of the tool box and fastens to one end of the
vacuum variable (VV).   The other side of the VV has a wire fastened to it
that goes out the other end of the tool box and runs up along side the
chimney about 3.5 feet from it.  At the top of the chimney I used chimney
straps to attach a 12 foot pole with an insulator attached to it.   The wire
goes up and through the insulator and then horizontally back to the east
until it runs out of wire.  There I have another insulator and then rope to a
pole at the back of the garage.

I will send a photo or two later today if you would like.

Steve
--
Stephen Hawkins
73 49 111 01001001