Re: [IRCA] TPs Aug 29 from Orcas Island

Hi, John.  Agree that things were slower here on the Charlottes too.  Here's my report:

TP report for 29
 August 2008 from Masset, B.C.

Good morning!  As
always, first to comment on last night’s TA activity.  Finally, 1566 heard with better audio…up to a
7 level at 05:23 UTC.  Unfortunately, these fade-ups were quite
short lasting, so I’m still hoping for a better opening to Benin,
Africa.  Don’t
know who else this could possibly be.
Otherwise, plenty of hets, but little audio:

180, 666, 738, 819, 837, 954, 963, 981, 999, 1008 (a 6),
1026, 1035, 1098, 1107, 1116 (a 7), 1125, 1134, 1152, 1179, 1215 (2 carriers
noted at 5 level), 1224, 1269 (6), 1287, 1305, 1314, 1485, 1503, 1566 (mostly 5 to 6 occ to 7 presumed TWR Benin), 1575, and
1566.

As for this morning, conditions seemed way down initially at
least with the LW Russians much less robust than usual.  Monitored from 12:35
to 14:13.  The lower band was very anemic with little
audio, but the CC especially came up rapidly towards 14:30.  Here are a
few highlights.  656.97  North Korea
strong at 14:02.  1170 at 13:15
had a nice “KBS Radio” ID with CC programming.
Both 1323 and 963 in well with CRI Russian.  1548 again had Russian programming at 13:33.
I noted Mayak here a few days ago.
After 14:00 it was DU, but
nothing very strong.  The X-band was
barely active today.

Otherwise, my notes indicate lots of CC, KK, and JJ
stations.

A comment on antenna systems.  My Wellbrook MW phased array performed
beautifully today and was my preferred choice.
My NW BOG continues to disappoint.
I had a question a week ago from someone asking about the array.  Basically, it’s a prototype phasing unit
using 2 delta loops in a vertical plane, 40 meters apart.  Using the phaser box, one is able to phase
out signals from one direction or 180 degrees.
In my case, mine is oriented about 315 degrees towards Asia.  I had noted that I wasn’t getting any null to
the south.  Re-reading the instructions,
Andy Ilkin advises that one switches the wiring on one of the loops.  Sure enough, this solved the problem,
although I haven’t yet achieved nulls up to 50 dB as Andy claims.  Still, even 10 to 20 dB is great.  I don’t think Andy has yet achieved
production status, but one should check the Wellbrook website in the UK.

So a somewhat subdued morning.  A/K indices continue very quiet, so perhaps
the TA activity will improve tonight.
Good DX to all!.......Walt Salmaniw, Victoria,