Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:07:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill kral <jwkral@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] Sony M37V Ultralite
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello , For anyone?bandscanning with an ultralight like the Sony M37V
here is my performance evaluation of this little receiver which went
with me on my trip to the old country which in my case is Holland where
I had a chance to operate it less than?20 KM from the two most powerfull
AM stations in the country running 400KW each and found that the two
signals on 747 and 1008 Khz were recevable all across the band until
they bumped halfway between the two with a handful of other minor breaks
from weaker or more distant signals.Further away? from the two torches
it behaved reasonably well,getting a couple of Germans ,Belgians and
Brits from across the Sea.Several Dutch AMers have gone silent or gone
to FM,where in?some locations it was plagued by multipathing of signals
since several stations broadcast from the same towers.Not a good little
receiver in large market cities or small countries with many
stations.Back on the westcoast,last night it managed
 to snag a peaking signal in a location away from my constantly
radio?noisy apartment?from a station in Idaho on 1140 with oldies most
likely sindicated somewhere and ID'd locally as Idaho's Oldies 1140
K-GEM (?),a new one for me and listenable over Calgary and
Sacramento,until washout by the other two.Since never heard before
here,a possible lower power night timer still on day power? Anyone know
where in Idaho?The other Sony with the analog tuner now performs much
better after several tries of boosting the pickup by adjusting a couple
of tuner screws and realigning the dial pointer with?an incoming signal
on one freq but not getting a match across the whole band but close
enough to see what's what and who's where.Can the digital Sony be
boosted and if so ,how? Any info is welcomed.Thanks.Bill in Vic BC